When it comes to camping destinations in the Denver area, the Indian Paintbrush Campground is one of the best. With 47 campsites, 3 cabins, 2 yurts and a group site, this campground offers something for everyone. Whether you want to enjoy the campgrounds from your RV or take advantage of the cabins, you will love the combination of urban and rural qualities for which the Indian Paintbrush Campground is so popular.
Indian Paintbrush Campground Location
Indian Paintbrush Campground is a medium-sized campground located within Bear Creek Lake Regional Park. This campground is located just south of downtown Denver and takes approximately a 20-minute drive from downtown Denver to Indian Paintbrush Campground.
Indian Paintbrush Campground is also close to other tourist destinations such as the Red Rocks amphitheater.
Everything You Need to Know About Indian Paintbrush Campground
Before you pack up your Recreational Vehicle (RV) and head off to Indian Paintbrush Campground; here is everything you need to know about this campsite.
1.Best times of the year to visit Indian Paintbrush Campground:
Most residents will tell you that Denver is sunny 300 days a year, and though the meteorologists put it closer to 260 days, you are unlikely to have to deal with sudden downpours and unexpected rain and snow storms.
3. Reservations and Bookings:
- The Indian Paintbrush Campground opens April 1st, but you can make reservations as early as January.
- To book a space in the available cabins or in the yurts, make your reservations as early as you possibly can because they are booked out very early in the year, especially for summer weekends.
- If you want to book a group site, make sure to make your reservation at least four weeks in advance. The campground does not accept any reservations made fewer than 4 weeks before the arrival date for the group sites.
4. Features and amenities available:
- Covered picnic areas
- Picnic tables
- Boat ramps
- Flushing toilets
- Swimming holes
Indian Paintbrush Campground Pros
- The camping fee for the Indian Paintbrush Campground also covers a pass for Bear Creek Lake Park, so you will not need to pay an additional fee.
- The Indian Paintbrush Campground has 47 sites, with each site having a fire ring, a grill, and a picnic table.
- For large groups, there are plenty of group sites that can take up to 25 people.
- This campground is near the Big Soda Lake, so you can easily walk from the Indian Paintbrush Campground for more adventures.
- The campground offers scenic views of the Rocky Mountains and the Red Rock’s towering sandstone formations.
- Indian Paintbrush Campground is just a short walk from horse stables that offer rides around the park.
- This campground is pet-friendly; you can bring your dog along.
- Indian Paintbrush Campground is well maintained with very clean bathrooms and a well-kept environment across the board.
- The park rangers are very helpful and will check on you periodically to see if you need any assistance.
- No parking pass required.
Indian Paintbrush Campground Cons
- Do not forget your sunscreen because there is a lot of sun and wind exposure at the Indian Paintbrush Campground. There is very little shade due to the lack of tree coverage, and it can get extremely hot, especially for people camping out in tents.
Adventure Spots Near Indian Paintbrush Campgrounds
- Big Soda Lake
Big Soda Lake is located within the Bear Creek Lake Regional Park. It is one of the many spots in the area that you can visit while camping at the Indian Paintbrush Campground, since it is just a short walking distance. Contrary to its name, Big Soda Lake is a small and calm lake that is kid-friendly.
There are plenty of boats, canoes, and kayaks available that you can rent. There is also a designated swimming area and even a 400-foot swimming lane for those who want to work out in the cool water.
Bring a ball along and you can enjoy a game on any of the several sand volleyball courts on site. You are also allowed to bring your dog, but the sandy swim beach is off-limits for canines.
- Bear Creek Lake Regional Park
Indian Paintbrush Campground is located inside the Bear Creek Lake Regional Park. Once you pay your camping fees at the campground, you can get access to the Bear Creek Park at no additional cost.
This park is very popular among boaters, and there is a boat ramp at the northern edge of the lake. It is also a popular windsurfing spot and, you will often find many stand-up paddlers and sit-on-top kayakers having fun at Bear Creek Lake.
Another popular attraction here are the many trails to explore. Plus, horseback riding is available for both individuals and groups. There is plenty of wildlife present in the park: deer, beaver, rabbit, and various other species.
Other Camping Grounds Near Indian Paintbrush Campground
- Chatfield State Park Campground
Chatfield State Park Campground has around 200 campsites and is the largest campground in the Denver area. The grounds themselves are well-maintained and have plenty of amenities, including hot showers, flush toilets, laundry, centrally located water, firewood, and a scat machine.
Apart from hiking, biking, and snow sports, Chatfield State Park campground has a 69-acre fenced dog park. The dark park charges a $2 daily fee, though there is also an option for an annual pass.
Chatfield State Park Campground gets extremely hot in the summer and there is little in the way of shade since there are very few trees. Luckily, each camping site is only a short walk away from the reservoir's swimming area so you can cool off when the heat becomes oppressive.
- Cherry Creek State Park Campground
This camp is quite large, with 152 camping sites. It is open year round with spacious RV sites with full hookups available and tent sites each with a dedicated parking spur.
This 4000-acre campground has many trails and a shooting center with gun ranges for rifles, shotguns, and pistols. There is also the Suhaka Field’s miniature runways and taxiways for model aircraft hobbyists. The Cherry Creek Reservoir provides boat access for both motorized and non-motorized boats. All these activities--in addition to paddling, hiking, and biking--are bound to keep you occupied throughout your stay at the campground.
Cherry Creek State Park Campground is ideal for those who prefer a more luxurious camping experience as opposed to roughing it out. With lavish amenities on site for both individual and group camping sites, you can have a comfortable camping experience at the Cherry Creek State Park Campground.
Campgrounds like the Indian Paintbrush Campground are great destinations for RVers who are looking for expansive and well-maintained camping grounds. Whether you want to camp out in your motorhome or rent a cabin, there are plenty of activities for you and your family to engage in both on the campground and nearby. Always remember to book well in advance to avoid missing out on a memorable experience in sunny Denver.